Thursday 26 July 2007

Eagle and Child

By the way, I mentioned on tuesday that I ate at the Eagle and Child. Just a few blocks away from St. Anne's, this pub was once frequented by the 'Inklings,' a discussion group including J.R.R. Tolkien and Saint C.S. Lewis
It was dark, somewhat cramped, and smelled like beer, but overall it was fabulously quaint and historical-feeling. Plus it was cheap! I think I had a tuna-melt and chips, but that's beside the point. It was definitely nice sitting down and having a conversation with knowing friends, thinking of the loftier conversations that have passed through the place.
I think we joked about such things as the origin of the word 'pander.'
One other thing. Apparently there's some sort of national crisis going on right now. England is flooding, rivers are overflowing, power substations are being threatened, etc. But more on this later...

No comments: