Thursday 26 July 2007

Last Class

Classes are finished. My friend Trae has already completed all of his exams and final essays, whereas I still have a few things to do. With his typical self-satisfaction, he said in his blog, "From here on, the pressure is off. Wonderful." How I loathe him. Actually, anyone who knows both of us will realize that I'm only kidding.
He told me that he was always the child who was eager to "get the spanking over with" and out of the way. I guess I have always been the one who would like to forget about it but nevertheless eventually has to take it.
So even though classes are finished, I still have some revision to do, as well as this take-home final exam for my Modern British Lit class. I've heard horror stories.
For a while yesterday I was in a bit of a foul mood, as I tend to be when I have something looming over my head. I felt angry and frustrated with some of the details of the final exam, as well as my experience of the course in general. I felt very much like something was being inflicted on me, something I didn't deserve. So I was determined to bite back and pour some of that anger into finishing all of my coursework, as if to say, "take that~!"
But I didn't accomplish much of anything, and I'm thankful for it.
The entire day the odds seemed to be stacked against me--everywhere a friend wanting to talk for a few minutes, a non-academic task that nevertheless demanded my attention, and the feeling that I couldn't focus well enough to accomplish anything.
I played the piano, talked with friends, had dinner, performed in a mini-concert thing for the group, stayed for a worship session, had a really long conversation with some other friends in a dimly-lit dorm-room, told some ghost stories, talked about vocation and calling and the meaning of life, and--to top it all off--I went out and had a kebab.
Normally avoiding my work would only intensify my anxiety; normally I'd be losing it by now. Strangely, however, I feel relieved, at peace, assured that "everything's gonna be alright." Sure, I have things to do, but I'll be ok. In fact, unstressed as I am, I might accomplish more in one day than I would in two stressful days.

"Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the Lord for ever."

No comments: